If you have happened to stumble upon this blog I will be very happy and humbled for you to read it and comment!
My name's Betty Bearfoot. I'm sure you've heard of me.
If not - then read on.
Pssh! Whatever! Do what you like, the internet's a free place. Just watch out for those Elders Of The Internet, the cheeky bastards.

Monday 16 April 2012

Acoustic Rave At The Croft

Hello. In my last post I promised I'd write a little review about that acoustic set I went to last Wednesday. So here it is:

The overall night was something that I'm not used to at all. It was very intimate. So intimate in fact that it was occasionally an avoid-awkward eye-contact-with-guy-on-stage kinda situation. In any case it was still absolutely delightful. The audience was really small but that made it perfectly suited for the laid-back acoustic sets.There's sometimes nothing nicer than just being able to chill and watch a band play, rather than being tussled about in a sweat-filled pit. The music was really refreshing, maybe because I've never gone to an acoustic night before. It was powerful in places and emotional in others. Usually however it was pretty hilarious, mainly because the audience was never bigger than about thirty people, which meant that everyone was really relaxed and cracking pretty bad jokes.

The first act on was Syren City, the four them were contented to sit on....were they fruit boxes? I don't know the technical name. Apart from that, they really looked the part, with their smart black ties. I really enjoyed their set and was kindly given their EP which has some real tunes on it! I would say it's kinda pop-rocky.


Here they are! At The Croft! What a lucky coincidence.

Next up was The People The Poet, formerly known as Tiger Please. These guys were great but before I knew it, their set was over! They were joined on stage by Greta Isaac - I believe that's her name, correct me if I'm wrong, as I may have misheard. In any case, she had an absolutely angelic voice. I believe I may have discovered my knew favourite band. I bought TPTP's albums: 'They Don't Change Under Moonlight' and 'Thank You For Today' and of course it's cliché but I've been listening to them none stop. I would say they're a mixture of acoustic folk - but without the Banjo - and with a hint of rock.



The last two acts were solo performances. Neil Starr from Attack! Attack! and Gavin Butler from The Blackout. I honestly don't know much about these two bands but I could tell they're very popular from the amount of band tees I saw floating around the audience. I've seen The Blackout once before  - Whip My Hair by Willow Smith being a very memorable cover - and they certainly aren't an acoustic band by nature. However both Neil Starr and Gavin Butler were both brilliantly entertaining and have amazing voices, which  you sometimes don't expect from rock bands.

Last Wednesday was certainly a night to be cherished. For a casual night out where I didn't know what to expect, it was very memorable. I've discovered new artists and unearthed a passion for acoustic music!

Thank you to Finn for dragging me out of my house.

1 comment:

  1. you are more than welcome.
    I shall drag you again soon enough, kissies xx

    ReplyDelete